Gave Everything Up - V1C9


Volume 1, Chapter 9: Mother

 

My life was smooth-sailing. I got married to the person I liked and had two children. Both were adorable, and my husband was extremely gentle. This was probably the happiest time of my life. But it didn't last long.

 

A few months after my eldest son, Manato, started middle school, my beloved person collapsed. The cause was overwork. After that, in no time at all, my husband passed away.

 

I regretted it. I regretted so much that I couldn't even regret it enough. Even now, I still do. But I didn’t have time for regrets. I had two children. They were the proof of his existence, as well as my treasures. I must protect even at the cost of my life.

 

That was why I resisted the urge to shed tears and occupied myself with work. I worked from morning until evening. Thanks to that, I was able to obtain a decent position in the company. Our lives became well-off.

 

That was the story at the time. When I began working, I wondered, could I even keep it up while raising children? I couldn't help but be anxious, and sure enough, those fears came true. Manato, who was in middle school at the time, was already able to do most things on his own. But Nana was still an elementary school student. It was natural that Nana would only be doted on by her mother.

 

I spent most of my days at work while still spoiling Nana. I acted tough in front of my children because I couldn't afford to look exhausted to them. And then, Nana, who had a dark expression on her face ever since my husband dies, started smiling. I was really happy. After all, I was glad to have given birth to that person's children. I honestly thought that at that moment.

 

But I had forgotten. I was so preoccupied with Nana that I forgot Manato was still a kid. Which led to the situation now.

 

One day, I came home from work late as usual, only to see Manato seated on a chair.

 

"Manato...? Why are you up at this hour? You have to go to bed now, don't you?"

 

I called out to Manato, sitting alone in the darkness.

 

"...Mom, today's my birthday. No, that's wrong. It was my birthday yesterday."

 

I was shocked when he said that. Did it show on my face, I wondered? I hadn't forgotten about it. I could assure you that. I was actually planning on holding a birthday celebration today. But because of work, I wasn’t able to.

That fact made me feel guilty, and I choked on my words.

 

"Of course, I remember."

 

Naturally, I affirmed him that.

 

"...You're lying."

"Huh?"

 

But Manato responded that what I said was a lie, and those words felt like somehow, he had given up on something.

 

"If that's true, why’d you look so unpleasant just a while ago?"

 

The way he ended his words wasn't something that Manato usually did. If I spoiled the event here, the meaning of the surprise would be lost. I had to avoid that.

 

"That's..."

 

I had to say something. While I was thinking that, Mana spoke up.

 

"It's fine. I understand. Mom never loved me."

 

Manato's eyes had a deep, sunken, and clouded look. The moment I saw those eyes, I realized. I made a mistake.

 

"!!! Manato!"

 

I had to explain myself. Thinking so, I called out to Manato, but he went upstairs without looking back at me.

 

"Manato..."

 

All I could do was speak out my beloved child's name.

 

The next morning, as I did my usual preparations to go to work, Manato woke up.

 

"Oh... Good morning, Manato."

 

I called out to him a bit awkwardly. That just happened last night. But was it okay to think that, that situation couldn't be helped?

 

"Good morning to you, too. Maki-san."

"!!! M-Manato?"

 

Hearing the words that came out of Manato's mouth, I could feel the blood drain from my face at a rapid pace.

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

Honorifics as well...

 

"Eh, O-Onii-chan?"

 

While I was at a loss for words, Nana called out to Manato. Nana must have noticed that something was wrong with Manato. She seemed confused.

 

"What is it? Nana-san."

 

Even to Nana, Manato added honorifics. Such a thing...I couldn't believe that he would even use that to address his own sister...

 

"W-what happened? You're talking like a stranger..."

 

Nana asked.

 

"What, you say, I just don't have a family to call my own."

 

What was he saying? We were undoubtedly family.

 

"H-hey, Manato. What's wrong?"

"Y-yeah, Onii-chan. Stop talking like that."

 

I really didn't understand what Manato was thinking. As to why would he suddenly say those things.

 

"It’s just that I realized. I've never been loved by anyone."

"Why would you think that?!"

 

It wasn't like that. I loved Manato with all my heart. I thought of him as my precious treasure.

 

"Why, huh. Maki-san showed it to me numerous times. You always put work before me. Nana, as well. You've been ignoring me for the past six months."

"That's not it, Manato! That!"

 

Wrong! That wasn't my intention! I worked hard because I wanted to make it easy for you kids!

 

"I-I didn't mean to ignore you...!"

"Rest assured. I don't care about you two anymore, so you don't have to try and mend things now."

"! Please, Manato, don't say that..."

 

Again. Manato's eyes were sinking deeper and deeper.

 

"Onii-chan, it's all my fault! I'm really sorry, so please stop!"

"Please calm down. I understand. I won't bother you two, so I hope you let me stay at this house. Please."

 

Manato bowed deeply as he said this. Had I driven Manato this far? To the point where he had to bow and beg to be allowed to live in this place that was his own home? Just how bad of a mother was I, huh.

 

"You don't have to do that, this is your home!"

"Please go back to how you always were, Onii-chan!"

 

We appealed to Manato.

 

"The usual me...what kind of person was he."

 

Manato's self-mocking smile looked very painful. That sight of him made my heart tighten again.

 

"I'm going to school now. Oh, I'm grateful to be allowed to stay here, so I don't need money for breakfast."

 

Manato left at that, quickly getting ready and headed out front door.

 

"Wait!"

"Onii-chan!"

 

Nana and I tried to stop him. But Manato walked out the front door without ever looking back.

 

All I could was stand there, watching his back wondering, was I really qualified to be his parent?



⸻⸻⸻ (ノ*ФωФ)ノ ⸻⸻⸻

TN Notes:

You know, a lot of things could be solved simply just by talking to each other. Communication is key in a relationship, after all. I do think both parties were in the wrong here.

Tell me what you think down on the comments.




Want more chapters? Please support me over on Ko-fi!

Comments

  1. I'm very agree with your opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. if he was in my family he would get is @ss handed to him and be out in the streets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That honestly sounds like a scary way to treat a depressed child if anything that would just be confirming their current mindset and the end result would probably be suicide you can't really beat depression away.

      Delete
    2. Wow, what a shitty household.

      Delete
    3. I mean, dude is acting like a sissy

      Delete
  3. im rly liking this so far. his reaction is kinda funny because if you really don't care about someone/a situation you would just ignore it. calling his mum and sister by their name and honourifics is kind of a cry for attention from a teen, a more mature reaction would be to just speak your sentences without referring to the person, so that you just don't say mum. this situation is more realistic than calmly and methodically doing every correct thing to slip away unnoticed though, which is nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not true. Calling someone by they're first name in Japan without permission is considered disrespectful. But he can't use they're last name cause it's the same. So he is establishing distance from thime by using honorifics.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I want to agree with you, talking something that is hard to talk are hard. Especially well your having a hard time adjusting to your environment that is new to you. Just my thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boy was fucked up

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be fair being ignored for six months and having your mother basically be indifferent towards you compared to your sister is enough for his reaction to be understandable along with his childhood friend being very ambiguous and not clearing things up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tbf, manato did try and put in the effort to spend time with them (first few chapters) and who's to say he didn't do that beforehand as well. it was pretty stupid of them to be this neglectful, i mean his sister just ignored him and his mom, although she was busy with her work, maybe a few nice words or a smile towards him shouldn't be too much, right? although his reaction (ie calling them formally) did kinda make me laugh, i feel like in any other family, he probably would've been beaten within an inch of his life if he showed that level of disrespect. it really does sound more of a spiteful kid getting back at his family in a childish way, which i suppose he is. i just don't know what it is but that section just sounds so comical, it feels so artificial.

    the only thing i would say he was a bit harsh towards was his friend, yeah she was acting very ambiguously with him despite telling him she has a crush, but i feel like as someone who was always looking out for him everyday, he probably should've talked it out a bit more and communicated his feelings with her instead of blowing up and cutting their relationship just like that. other than that, he's more or less acting as he should considering he's a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think his attitude is pretty normal, if I was basically ignored by all my family I live with I would also think that they hated me or just don't have any feelings for me, frankly speaking who is wrong in this story is not him

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to remind everyone, at this point he is one step away from being borderline suicidal. His family was basically showing him that he was an inconvenience in their lives and his childhood friend coincidentally completely forgot about his birthday and was too busy talking to a senior and basically rubbing it in his face that she found someone else to love. He completely gave up on being loved by anyone ever, that's how scary depression is. Never should they have left him alone, they all noticed something was wrong, basically a last cry for help from him, but they were too busy with themselves to notice he was dying inside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, the classic "communication error."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I disagree TL. Can't talk to someone who is always rushing off to work or ignoring you can you? They messed up. Not him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC is just a sissy, little sister is a dumbass but mother is working to get food on the table and he is crying about it. He runs away when someone is communicating with him (referring when childhood was confessing to him) He is a sissy

      Delete
    2. idfk why mother was acting cold and all that, maybe he should be a bit considerate and figure out mother has been working for the both of them night and day.

      Delete
  13. Manato DID try. He'd probably think it'd sound like whining if he outright complained there. I know I would, so he tried to talk normally, but received cold treatment for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14