Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3 SS 10


Volume 3, Side Story 10: Bad Selection, Broken Heart ~Illusion~

 

Take her away

  Observe the situation

 

 

A few days had passed since Hanae stopped coming over to wake me up in the morning.

Hanae, who used to almost daily, had stopped doing so because she had to study in the morning as well.

She hadn't been to my house at all these past few days, not even in the morning. Well, I was sure things should be back to normal once the final exams were over.

It seemed that there was another study session after school today. She left the classroom with her friends and Reika who looked like they were having fun.

 

"Susumu isn't joining today?"

"I...think I'm good."

 

Umi, who came to me with a textbook in hand, also seemed like he was participating, too.

Majority of the class did, and now it looked like a class gathering. I might be the only who didn't participate without any clear reason.

 

"...Umi, how about club?"

"Is Susumu going?"

 

When I said I wouldn't, he replied he wouldn't as well, and Umi walked out the classroom.

In no time at all, I was the only one left inside. I was told that the study sessions were being held in a borrowed meeting room.

Since I already said I wouldn't, it would be uncool to participate now all of a sudden.

I went straight home and studied alone.

Hanae didn't come to my house that day, either.

 

――――

――

 

In the meantime, the final exams finally started.

The atmosphere didn't feel like a test was about to begin. Everyone seemed relaxed, and some were already talking about their plans for summer break.

Taking a glance at Hanae, I saw that she was happily chatting about something with a female classmate sitting next to her.

That Hanae was smiling even though a test was about to start, yet it wasn't as surreal as I thought it would be.

She must have studied hard this past week. From the very first day of the test up until the last one, she never looked despaired.

 

――――

――

 

The exams were over, and today was the day the results were going to be returned.

From now until the closing ceremony, classes were left for self-studies, and all of them were already in summer vacation mode.

I looked at my tests that were handed back during homeroom. Again, it wasn't anything good nor bad.

And then came the usual tradition. Many of them gathered around Jimichi's desk to pay their compliments and gratitude.

How was Hanae? Last time, she came over, but now she hadn't yet.

I was wondering if she was all plopped down on her desk...but when I took a look at where Hanae's seat was, she wasn't there.

 

...Maybe the restroom?

 

If she was able to walk and move, then her results might not have been so bad.

Well, that was a given if you had put so much effort into your studies ――

 

"―― Jimichi-kun! I didn't get any red markssss!!"

 

In this noisy classroom, a particularly loud voice stood out.

It was the familiar voice of my childhood friend. Startled, I hurriedly turned my attention to the crowd around Jimichi.

There, was Hanae, looking all happy being patted on the head by Jimichi.

 

"I'm glad for you, Hanae-chan!"

"You did your best~."

"As expected of Jimichi-sama!"

"How nice, I want to be patted on the head, too..."

"For you red marks? Aren't you a usual offender?"

"Far from it, it's the highest they've ever been in all subjects."

"Isn't the average on this class too good?"

"Much thanks, much thanks..."

"I'm worshipping Jimichi-sama every day I wake up during summer break."

 

I was terrified of their eerie enthusiasm and worshipping of Jimichi.

He wasn't that kind of a guy. If they put themselves in my shoes, they would know better.

 

―― Lure her away

 

But I didn't have time to think about those things.

When I saw Hanae's expression, I knew it wasn't good if things continued as they were. I couldn't think of any method, but I just wanted her to get away from Jimichi.

Even she was staying far from me just recently.

 

"H-Hanae! I'd like to talk to you for a bit."

"Hm? Ah, Susumu-kun..."

"Come here for a minute."

"Eh...but ――"

"―― Just come here!"

 

I pulled Hanae's hand a bit too forcefully and dragged her away from the crowd.

My classmates all looked surprised, but Jimichi didn't say anything in particular.

 

"W-what just happened?"

"Who knows..."

"Ah~...so that's how it is."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what happened recently?"

"What was it?"

"You know, from the next class..."

"...Ah! Azumi-san!"

"Hanae-chan was also always by him."

"Ah, that...so that's what's happening."

"Well, it couldn't be helped, since it's Jimichi-sama."

"Obviously."

""""Don't mind it, Tendou.""""

 

I left the classroom with Hanae who was looking anxious, not hearing anything of what my classmates were talking about.

It was when we reached the stairs connecting the floors.

 

"W-why all of a sudden? That hurt..."

"M-my bad! Blood just rushed to my head..."

 

Hanae still had an uneasy expression on her as she rubbed her wrists. I might have frightened her.

I was uneasy, too. I was uneasy about Hanae's closeness to him.

However, I allowed her to join the study group, so what could I even say at this point.

 

"So...what's wrong?"

"Um...h-how did your tests go?"

"I didn't get any red marks, thanks to Jimichi-ku...thanks to him."

"I-is that so."

 

Maybe because I yelled at her the other day, but Hanae rephrased her words, although the way she called him was unnecessarily friendly.

She should have just attended Jimichi's study sessions. It shouldn't have been so different from the others that did.

But for some reason, I had a subtle feeling that Hanae might have already had a close relationship with Jimichi.

 

"Hey, so you pulled me here because of that...?"

"No, that... I didn't want you to be around...that guy."

"...Huh? What does that mean?"

"Um...I was thinking that Hanae should stay by side from now on..."

 

I didn't how to say it correctly nor how to get it across, so my voice got quieter and quieter.

I just didn't want her near Jimichi, and that was all I had in mind.

There was no way Hanae, a childhood friend of mine who had been with me for a long time, was going to disappear from me, but I couldn't help not saying anything.

 

"Now that the test is over, you're going back to me...like you always did, right?"

"Just like before..."

 

Even though that should have been the case, Hanae didn't immediately answer and she made a gesture as if she was considering something.

What was she thinking that her expression wasn't looking so good? Things were just going back the way it was.

It was like as if she was hinting that she wouldn't come back again.

 

"...Hey, Susumu-kun. Why did I ―― have to go back to your side?"

"...Eh?"

 

I didn't understand what Hanae was saying.

She asked me why, but she had always been by my side.

Because my parents asked her to? Because she was taking care of the useless me? Because she wanted to?

Thinking back, I never really thought about why Hanae came to my house often and stayed by my side.

 

"W-why you ask...because that's how it had always been..."

"It's been that way, but why should it continue like that?"

 

I pondered about it again, but if you thought about it normally, they would usually come because they wanted to.

Didn't she feel something for me? Because, wasn’t it that? She wouldn't usually go that far for someone she didn't like.

Maybe it was because we were childhood friends.

 

"...Hanae, I ――"

"―― I'm just kidding. I still have to be there for Susumu-kun."

"Eh...?"

"But you know, I think it might be better if I shouldn't go for a while."

"W-why is that?"

 

She said all this in a rapid pace while Hanae was moving her feet, as if she wanted to return back to the classroom.

After taking a few steps, she turned around and joked in her usual smile.

 

"I feel bad for both Susumu-kun and Reika-chan."

"Reika...?"

"Because you like her, don't you?"

"That..."

 

So, she was saying the reason was because I still had lingering attachment to Reika.

But Hanae and I childhood friends, and that relationship should amount to something special.

 

"But, you and I are childhood friends..."

"...Being childhood friends just means that you've spent some time together in the past."

"Don't say that..."

"Ahaha, I'm just kidding. But Susumu-kun, do you have some kind of weird fantasies about your childhood friend?"

 

Childhood friends, huh. I wondered if it really was just someone who was just near you, just like Hanae said.

Because we had been together for a long time, I was thinking we had a bond that others didn't have.

But did I ever try to cherish that bond?

Before I knew it, it might have just turned into something that was just normal.

 

"For the time being, let's think about it after my make-up exams."

"...Ah."

 

Hanae, who had smile that didn't radiate her usual gentleness, went back to the classroom first.

I felt like I just saw a side of Hanae I didn't know existed. I wondered if it was just because I was unaware, or because of someone else's influence.

I didn't expect how unsettling it was to discover that.




Prev | TOC | Next

Comments

  1. Failed answer~
    Thanks for the new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next button in ss9 goes to ss11. Thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14