Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 SS 4


Volume 1, Side Story 4: Bad Selection: ~Hareyama Hanae~

 

 

I went to the library instead of attending the study group that Jimichi held.

I was actually going to proceed with my club activities, but Hanae, who came with me, begged me to help her study.

 

"―― Wrong."

"Um...like this?"

"Told you it's wrong."

"Then...this?"

 

Wrong. I didn't know many times I'd said that, and I didn't understand why you couldn't understand that.

I told Hanae about this many times, but I really was not good at teaching.

 

"...Hey, this will be bad if you don't do anything."

"I-I know..."

"Why don't you ask a teacher? I'm sure he's better than me."

"B-but..."

 

I remembered about Jimichi's study session. But I didn't want to tell her to go there.

So, in my desperation, I told her instead to go seek a teacher for some pointers instead.

Clearly, if she continued studying as it was, she wouldn't produce any results.

 

"I prefer you, Susumu-kun..."

"Still."

 

Hanae replied with a downcast look on her face. I had seen this expression too many times back when I was still even a kid.

She had been with me ever since she was a little girl. Before I knew it, she was always next to me and kept on sticking.

But looking back, it might have been in middle school that she started following me.

Being childhood friends was one thing, but I felt like she was starting to put me ahead of everything.

Does she like me? There were times where I thought that to myself, but I had a feeling that it wasn't quite that.

Whatever the case may be, it was a fact that Hanae had chosen to be here with me now.

That was why I had to make a choice for Hanae, too.

 

―― Proceed with club activities

 

"As expected, it might be better to have someone teach you."

 

Even if I continued helping her, Hanae wouldn't be able to avoid a red mark. For her sake, I dared to push her away from me.

 

"B-by someone, you mean..."

"Like a teacher, or a friend of yours. I don't think I can tutor you."

"B-but there were times when Susumu-kun taught me and it turned out okay..."

"Then it just means that I wasn't good enough this time. Sorry."

"Ah..."

 

I turned away from Hanae, whose expression had darkened, and stood up from my chair.

Hanae let out a small voice, but didn't say anything after that, nor did she chase after me.

If I pushed her that far, Hanae would have to rely on someone other than me.

It pained me a little, but it was difficult to teach her, even for me. This was better for Hanae.

After I left the library, I didn't go back to class, but proceeded with club activities.

 

 

――――

――

 

 

I was no longer interested in studying, so I went to my club where there less attendees than usual.

There was no sign of Umi nor the manager. Umi was in a study session, and our manager seemed to have been tasked by the advisor to do something else, so she wasn't present.

I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see our cute manager Shigure, but I switched my focus and went about my club activities instead.

 

After working up a sweat playing for a few hours, more and more members were rounding and getting ready to head home.

Were they going to study, too? Either way, once the remaining numbers got even lower, I had to finish up as well.

What to do? Should I go home and study, or should I go check on Hanae or Shigure?

 

―― Go back to the library

 

I should go back to the library. I was still a bit concerned about Hanae's situation.

What was I even saying now, after I shut her off myself.

In fact, I couldn't concentrate on my club activities because it actually bothered me. I should go and see how things were.

 

I returned to the library and went back to the spot I was last time, but Hanae wasn't there.

I roamed around the library just to be sure, but there was still no sign of her.

Then, I remembered that Hanae had a curfew, so I left the library, thinking that she might have already left.

 

As my feet dragged me outside, I went over to the floor where first years were.

Another person I was curious about as Shigure, and I wanted to check in on her.

However, I was told that Shigure was doing the work assigned to her at her classroom, but I didn't know where it was, which I somewhat needed to.

I asked someone nearby about Shigure's class, and easily gained the relevant information.

It seemed that Shigure was rather popular. I was proud and happy that she was the manager of our soccer team.

 

However, when I looked into her classroom, she wasn't there.

I asked Shigure's classmates who had stayed behind, and they told me that she was here earlier, but left after completing her work.

It seemed that we just missed each other. However, I did get information that Shigure was headed to the student council room.

She had apparently prepared documents from the soccer club to be submitted to the student council.

So, the student council office, huh... If I went there, I might be able to meet Shigure, but there was also the possibility that Yukinaga-senpai was also there.

 

―― Go to the student council office

 

...I should go. If Yukinaga-senpai was there, I should go and apologize properly for what happened yesterday.

I was turned away last time, but we had a pretty good relationship built so far.

I'd known my senpai for about a month of two now. I enjoyed being with her, and I was happy to be depended on.

I turned direction towards the student council room, thinking about what got into me yesterday.

 

I arrived at the office, but Yukinaga-senpai wasn't there, let alone Shigure.

I asked a member of the student council about the two of them, and it seemed like Shigure left as soon as she turned in the documents, and Yukinaga-senpai left just now.

The student council member said that Yukinaga-senpai's bag was left behind and she should return soon.

Would Shigure show up to the club? Would I get to meet Yukinaga-senpai if I waited here?

 

―― Go home

 

Or, should I just go home?

I didn't think Shigure would go there, as there would be hardly anyone left in the club anymore.

I didn't know how long it would take to wait for Yukinaga-senpai, and it might be an inconvenience to keep waiting.

And what the hell was up today, we kept on passing by each other.

At this point, anything I did would just be pointless.

Which was why I should just leave. I would just have to see everyone tomorrow.

I stopped thinking and walked towards the entrance to the school.

 

As I left the student council office and arrived at the entrance, I saw Jimichi Ikuto walking from the other side of the building.

Was the study session over already? I thought about that, but I headed towards where the shoe boxes were without saying anything in particular.

Jimichi's also looked like it was near me, but neither he said anything.

We were classmates, but we weren't interested in each other. When I saw Jimichi's face up close for the first time, all I could think about was how he was so well-organized.

We left, almost side-by-side, without even a word of, "See you tomorrow."

 

I took my interest off Jimichi, and thought back to what had happened recently.

Somehow, things might not have been working out for me.

When I thought about this, the faces of four female students popped into my mind.

Recently, I had continuously made them uncomfortable. We kept on passing by each other today, and I didn't get to meet anyone after I left the library.

At this point in time, my relationship with them hadn't changed significantly.

Neither the mood nor the relationships were disturbed.

So, what did change?

The only thing that changed was myself. What was up with my decisions...? I didn't feel like I was doing what I wanted.

 

Ah, speaking of change, there was another one.

It was Jimichi Ikuto the guy walking behind me. It seemed like he wasn't walking in line with me anymore, as if he got tired of it.

I didn't remember the old Jimichi well, so Iwasn't certain about what changed.

My classmates were fussing about his changes in personality, appearance, and behavior, so I wondered maybe he had someone he was interested in?

Well, not like it was any of my problem ――

 

"―― Tendou."

 

No way, I didn't think he would call out.

I thought that we were going to part ways without ever speaking to each other, and that the next time I would see JImichi was tomorrow.

That Jimichi was so expressionless...no. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call it a robotic expression.

Such a look was plastered on his face.

Then, Jimichi Ikuto said something incomprehensible.

 

"One route, has disappeared."





Comments

  1. This is really interesting. Thanks so much for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From his pov this look ominous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they in a novel world? The fact that these two guys are controlled like this is so sad. I don't think the girls are in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that Jimichi and Tendou are acting on a script of a game rather than a novel world. Tendou's line "I didn't feel like I was doing what I wanted" shows that he is being controlled unconciously, forced to act on the decisions someone is choosing.

      Delete
  4. Wow.. this is such a nice read. Im glad i give this novel a try despite the cringe synopsis and title

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see. I can easily imagine that Ikuto and Tendou are part of a game world. And for some reason, the player is doing his best to get the Bad End. As a consequence, Ikuto is receiving all the happiness that Tendou would have gotten on the other 3 endings. Now, one of the endings is gone. How will Tendou mess things up later? I really wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ikuto is a variable that wouldn't happen in the normal game. for some reason the player is just making the wrong choices, I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or if he's just a bad player.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I see someone fumbling his life this much for no apparent reason. If this really is a game the player must be doing this for either a purposeful bad end or for funnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the chapter! Don't know who to feel bad about. Poor guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tbh, this POV is quite creepy, how both Jimichi and Tendou feels like they are not themselves and is being controlled by some sort of unexplained will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14