Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 SS 3


Volume 1, Side Story 3: Bad Selection: ~Reika Azumi~

 

 

After school ended that day, my mind was in a mess.

I was thinking whether or not to go and apologize to Reika who I fought with earlier.

Well, with Reika's personality, I was sure she’d be back to her old self in a few days as though nothing had happened.

 

―― Go to the student council office

 

Speaking of apologizing, it reminded me of another person: Yukinaga-senpai.

The circumstances were different with Reika’s, but it was true that I did turn away Senpai.

Rather, I was making up all kinds of excuses, but the truth was that I simply couldn't muster up the courage to go and apologize to Reika.

Feeling pathetic, I headed towards the student council room.

I selfishly thought to myself that Reika’s mood would return to normal soon.

 

When I arrived at the room next to the student council office, I found Yukinaga-senpai staring at a bunch of documents.

Senpai glanced at me for a moment when I suddenly showed up, but then she quickly turned her attention back to the papers in front of her.

 

"Um, Senpai. Sorry I wasn't able to help you yesterday."

"Ah, it's fine. I had another student to help me."

 

Yukinaga-senpai replied without turning around to look at me.

 

Rather than her being busy, I had a feeling that she just wasn't interested in me.

 

"S-senpai. Is there anything I can help with?"

"Like I said earlier, I already found someone else to help me ―― and besides."

"H-huh?"

"You're busy playing around, aren't you? You don't have to push yourself."

 

What was up with this situation? I wasn't stupid enough to not know what she meant.

Senpai must have found out. She knew that I refused to help her yesterday citing club activities and fatigue as excuses, but that I was actually busy having fun with my friends.

Working and playing were two completely different things, and no doubt I had left her with a not-so-good impression after all that.

 

"Uh, that's..."

"Excuse me. I'm a bit busy, so could we do this another time?"

 

Senpai finally faced me and said that.

I could see the clear disappointment and rejection in her eyes.

Yesterday's incident must have left an impact on her. Maybe I should have spent more time thinking about how to apologize to Senpai, and instead, I prioritized Azumi’s.

I couldn't say anything back and just left the student council office.

 

On my way back, I peeked into Reika's classroom.

A few students remained, but there was no sign of Reika.

A part of me was relieved. Guess it couldn't be helped that she wasn't there, and I should apologize to her next time instead.

 

―― Go straight home

 

For now, I should head home.

I did have club activities, but it wasn't really a good idea to join them now. I would only be a hindrance if someone this unmotivated were to join them.

I wasn't in the mood to go have fun and decided to just go straight back. If I were to force myself to do at least something, I could stop by the supermarket and buy some food stuffs...but I guess I would have to make do with what I had today.

I didn't stop by anywhere and just went home.

 

Next day. I went to school with Hanae as usual, but this time, Reika didn't come to my classroom.

Hanae next to me looked like she wanted to say something, but ultimately kept quiet.

Should I have apologized yesterday? The more time passed, the harder it gets to apologize for this kind of thing.

Reika had a, simple personality though, so I was sure she'd calm down in a matter of days.

But these coming days made me somewhat uncertain.

I decided. I should just apologize. Class ended a bit early today, so maybe after school.

Before that, I should lightly send off an apology to her in a message.

 

Susumu: Sorry about yesterday. I got into a strange mood.

Reika: It's fine already.

 

I got a reply as soon as I sent it. This helped clear some of that uncertainty I felt.

 

Susumu: I want to apologize properly. Do you have time after school today?

Reika: I have stuff to do today. Rather, you don't have to go that far. I'm not that mad at you anymore.

Susumu: You're not angry?

Reika: I was extremely annoyed at the time, but something amusing happened yesterday which made me forget all about that matter.

 

Something was strange.

Reika often got into a bad mood, and if nothing was done, she usually stayed grumpy for about three days.

Was there ever such a time in the past where she felt better immediately by the next day?

Looking back, she seemed like she was in a good mood when she replied to me.

 

Susumu: Did something good happened?

Reika: Nothing really. I just saw an interesting guy with his face covered in grease.

 

I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but she didn't really seem that mad anymore.

When she was angry, she would at best, reply a single message, if any at all.

I was curious and tried asking for more details, but I had to pause because a teacher entered the classroom.

 

After school that day. I thought about what to do since Reika turned me down.

Because tests are coming up, it wouldn't make sense to go to the club since only a few of the them would be there.

Should I study, too? Even if I didn't, I was confident that I could avoid failing.

While I was thinking about this, Hanae, who had been beside me for quite some time, spoke to me.

 

"Susumu-kun, are you going to your club today?"

"No, I think I'll study."

"Really?! Then, um..."

 

Hanae was hesitant to say it, but I immediately knew what she meant having known her for many years.

She probably wanted to ask me to help her to study. Hanae had a mental capacity that would require her to work very hard with her studies for her to avoid failing.

 

"I told you a million times, I'm not really good at teaching."

"Yes, but...you’re the only one I could rely on ――"

"―― Hey, you two! Jimichi is going to hold a study session! What's more, it seems like he has a set of questions that make sure you avoid failing if you answer it!"

 

An excited Umi came approaching loudly, interrupting Hanae's words.

Practice questions? Was it a collection of questions that predicted what would likely appear on the exam?

Was Jimichi that smart? I didn't know much about him, but it seemed like he was.

 

"R-really?! I can avoid getting a red mark?!"

"Right?! Great, because after doing that, now I could just focus on playing soccer for rest of the day after!"

 

Umi wasn't an idiot, but it looked like he would fail if he didn't study, which made him want to participate in that study session.

Personally, it wouldn't really matter if I didn't join.

However, when I peeked at Hanae's expression, I saw the hint in her eyes that she wanted to participate.

 

―― Don't participate

 

"I'm good. I'll study alone."

"Eh..."

"W-why'd you wanna do that? Most of the guys from class would probably be there, you know?"

 

Hanae looked a little disappointed, and Umi wore a face as if he didn't understand what I was saying.

What was up with your expressions? If you wanted to go, then just go.

 

"You can join us, Hanae."

"Eh...but..."

 

Seeing Hanae's troubled face, I felt a tinge of regret thinking that I did it again.

Even though I just had a similar incident with Reika... Things haven't been in my favor these past few days.

 

"I told you, right? I'm not good at teaching."

"Ah... wait for me, Susumu-kun!"

 

Hanae followed after me in a panic.

It might have been better for Hanae to have joined, but I really didn't want to.





Comments

  1. Normal people tries to avoid death flags, but this is the only one I have seen collecting them like those are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chapter! This is a good "What Not To Do" guide, honestly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14