Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V2 SS 4

 

Got my first donation on Ko-fi! Thanks to Reni2425 for donating. Here's the extra chapter.


Volume 2, Side Story 4: Bad Selection ~Rain and Heaven~

 

 

"Then today's starting lineup will consist of second-years and first-years, like we discussed yesterday."

 

Sunday's practice match.

The soccer club's advisor said so during a meeting.

I was wondering why I couldn't see any third-years today, and it seemed like it was mostly just lower years on the team.

Since we weren't particularly considered a contender, most of the third-years retire before summer vacation. Our school was more like a preparatory school, so they would probably focus more on entrance exams.

I wasn't in the starting lineup this time. The players who weren't selected were those who were absent yesterday.

 

"The reserve players will assist the managers! They worked their hardest to prepare this time."

 

The club advisor turned his attention to the managers who were hurriedly setting up for the event.

The equipment was rather new, did they prepare them yesterday?

If so, then amazing. Despite what happened, they must have found a manhandle from the first years.

 

"The starters will assemble. The rest of you go up and help the three."

 

Members started zigzagging. Most of the reserve second-years began warming up, but none of them approached the managers.

Well, the help should mostly come from the first-years, but what about me?

I thought that I wanted to do my best for the three who worked so hard.

 

―― Say thanks

 

"Thanks for the preparation, you three."

 

I approached them and expressed my thanks.

It looked like there were enough first-years nearby, and if they had this many people, there should be enough manpower.

 

"T-Tendou-senpai! That's not it! I said that, didn't I?!"

 

Higashimori stopped me in a fluster.

Nishibayashi continued as she turned her attention to Shigure.

 

"R-right! Senpai, can you prepare the iced water with Airi?"

"Eh? Well, it's fine, but ――"

"―― Hey, Susumu! You’re up! I'll be playing, too!"

 

I was about to walk up to Shigure and take advantage of their support, but then I heard Umi and stopped in my tracks.

Then Shigure, who had stopped as if waiting for me, started moving again.

 

"Ah, ahaha. I'll be fine, so please do what you need."

"But..."

"Um, it's fine, really."

 

Shigure laughed bitterly and headed towards the water station alone.

The container she held was large, and if water was added to it, it might be difficult for Shigure to carry.

 

"Geez~, Senpai. You have to take the initiative there!"

"And you shouldn’t have made that face! What's with that look as if it couldn't be helped?!"

 

I didn't realize I wore such an expression. However, if you asked me, I might have been acting in a somewhat haughty manner.

 

"Come on, Susumu! We have limited time, so let's get going."

"Ah, yeah..."

 

Feeling apologetic for what just happened, I headed towards the field with Umi.

When I got worried and looked back, I saw that several first-years were helping Higashimori and the others, but no one was with Shigure.

 

"Wha?! Can someone go help Airi?!"

"...It's fine, we'll go."

 

To the panicked Higashimori, Nishibayashi showed off her irritated expression.

After that, the preparations were finished, but the managers were clearly exhausted, and their mood spread throughout the club.

 

The two practice matches proceeded without any issues and had just ended.

I played full minutes in the second game. I would be glad if you didn't ask for the result.

We had a meeting afterwards and were informed about the future plans. The inter-high school tournament, where the third-years and the rest of the team would be playing in, was just around the corner.

Last year, our team lost early in the qualifying rounds. This time, we were going to get a good ranking...or maybe not.

Frankly speaking, it would be difficult to qualify again this year.

There were girls who went to the trouble of becoming managers this year so I was eager to do my best, but the reality was tough.

 

Speaking of them, I thought managers were supposed to bring towels and drinks after games with smiles on their faces, but that never happened.

I wondered if it was because of that. They haven't been in a good mood all day, so maybe it really was.

 

"Okay, then~. You guys, take care and go home, okay?"

 

Today's match was held on the field adjacent to our school.

It took a good while to clean up because it was on home ground, and the process was time-consuming.

I was tired, and tomorrow was Monday. I wasn't feeling great because of the match result as I helped with the cleanup.

 

"There... Excuse me~. If you’re free, please do lend us a hand~."

 

When Higashimori said this in a loud voice, everyone's eyes turned towards them.

I didn't see anyone taking initiative, as if everyone had their hands full.

At that time, Umi, who was working next to me, spoke.

 

"Hey, kouhais are supposed to assist the club managers, right?"

"It’s not set in stone...but yeah, guess so."

"Isn’t it? We were the ones helping the managers last year, didn't we?"

 

It wasn't explicitly defined as a rule, but there was tacit understanding.

It was normal for first-years to take the lead in errands, and we did the same last year.

 

"Um! Someone, help please."

 

Finally, even Shigure spoke up.

Most of the second-years seemed indifferent, but the first-years were somewhat acting suspicious.

 

"The first-years this time aren't moving much, are they?"

"That's true...but still."

 

That was what I thought too, but if you think about it, wasn't it kind of our fault?

Umi might have had said that, but I didn't recall teaching anything to any of them, and it might have been too much to expect from first-years who had only been in school for two months.

 

"Did we also help at the start...?"

"We did, didn't we? Ah, but I did remember our senpais yelling at us."

 

Right. We were hesitant, too.

Even if the advisor told us to help the manager, we didn't do anything because we were thinking that someone else would do it.

I remembered being yelled at by a senpai because of this, and we all proceeded to do the errands while letting out complaints.

 

"Umi, let's teach them a lesson."

"Ah~, I get what you mean...so? Want me to yell at them?"

"W-why do you need to yell...just set an example? How about we help out and show them?"

"You're saying that if the senpais move, the kouhais will follow? It's not the same as last time, but would that work?"

 

―― Leave it to the first-years

 

"...I guess we'll leave it to the first-years. We were like that once, too."

"Yeah. Then, I'll go tell them!"

 

I thought he was going to yell, but my fears were unfounded.

As Umi approached the first-years, he made a gesture as if explaining something.

When he left, almost all of them began to head towards the managers to help.

While I was thinking that it must have worked out, Umi returned with a big smile on his face.

 

"It went well! I'm a friendly senpai!"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's just get this over with."

"Hey Susumu. We got time, so how about a game of penalty kicks before we finish?"

"I'm fine with that. If you lose, buy me juice."

 

We called out to a first-year who was stowing away the soccer goal and asked him to wait a bit so we could have a penalty shootout.

Afterwards, we put away the soccer goal and came back to the grounds, only to find our advisor looking troubled.

We got curious, so we asked what it was. Then, our advisor said something we never could have imagined.

 

"Our three managers, they said they wanted to quit."




TN Note: Title is Shigure and Tendou.


Comments

  1. That's so awkward. I'm get pseudo 2nd hand embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awkward. I'm get pseudo 2nd hand embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really felt sorry for the girls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go girls. If that's the extent of their efforts towards you, then just stop and leave. They don't help, then don't help them too.

    But dang, I thought he screwed Yukinaga's route badly, but Shigure's route is just harsh. Can't wait for Reika and Hanae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the new chapter! I'm glad they decided to break away considering how the club is treating them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lazy bastards. No wonder Airi bailed on you. Unlike him, Jimichi is willing to bust his ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing they stayed until now.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was it difficult to imagine? I was surprised that they managed to still calm and not make a scene. I thought they would explode and quit instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm? Hestitant to help out the managers? Why tho???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14