Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V2C6

 

Volume 2, Chapter 6: Steadily Becoming The Center Of The Class

 

  Volunteer

Don't volunteer

 

 

Today was Monday. It was the day where midterm results were returned.

I casually swept my gaze around and saw my classmates who were somewhat excited to see me.

There were still a few minutes before our homeroom teacher arrives. Usually, only few would be present in the classroom even at this time, but right now, the majority were here.

These weren't the faces of those dreading for the results. Rather, it looked like they were anticipating a reward instead.

Then finally, it was time.

 

"You guys~, return to your seats...you already are. That's unusual."

 

Our homeroom teacher was Yokotani-sensei, a physical education instructor. A good-looking guy in his 30s with a stern face headed towards the podium with a surprised look.

Yokotani-sensei's every move drew attention. He scratched his cheek uncomfortably.

 

"What's up with you, guys? Did you set up something? Stop that...Sensei is not good with surprises."

 

The stern but frightened teacher stood at the podium rather fearfully and slowly stared back at his students.

It must have looked odd to him, because most students were grinning.

 

"...Then, let's start homeroom ――"

"―― Sir!!"

"W-what the?! Don't shout all of a sudden!"

"I'm pretty sure today is the day they give back the results of our tests, right?"

"Huh...? Ah, I was about to return them..."

 

The stunned Sensei showed the students the thick stack of papers he was carrying under his arm.

Our school always had a long homeroom period set on the morning of the day they returned the tests, and the homeroom teacher would distribute them all at once.

After the tests were received, the students were expected to review the test and study the areas they made mistakes in as a form of self-study.

The teacher in charge of each subject would come to the classroom but wouldn't give lessons. The day was a rest period for the teachers who worked hard to prepare and grade the tests.

 

"Why are you guys so restless... Ah, I did hear that our class had the highest average score this time around. Could it be that?"

 

That might have been the reason. My classmates, who grew even more concerned about their scores after hearing Sensei's words, silently pressured him to return them quickly.

Sensei, perhaps sensing some form of danger, started handing the sheets out instead, postponing announcements and other matters.

 

"Uwoooahhh?! Is this for real?! I got...60?!"

"Huh? You, who always failed math? Are kidding me?"

"I got a 70 in Japanese?! It's impossible!"

"The ones who always got red marks are the ones who had the highest scores?!"

"Hey hey, how was yours?"

"All over 80! I'm surprised!"

"Really? That's too amazing..."

"L-like I thought, 36 points...in English..."

 

I looked around as I checked my answer sheets, but everyone's eyes were wide in shock.

A few students, including Hareyama, had somewhat bitter looks on their faces, but there was never a time before where so many smiles burst out on a day like this.

My classmates, still in an excited mode, surrounded me with an expression as if they were worshipping a god.

 

"Jimichi-sama! This is all thanks to Jimichi-sama!"

"Thank you so much! Thank you so much!"

"Hmm, no worries."

"I'm sure my mom will be happy! My spending money will be increased, too!"

"Me, too! I'll get a bonus!"

"Extra pocket money and increased allowance? Hmm...you guys, you know what that means, right?"

""Of course! We'll treat you next time!!""

"Thank you so much, Jimichi-kun! This is the first I ever got a score like this!"

"That problem set was really effective! I laughed when I saw the same question word for word!"

"I'm not one of them guys, but I'd like to thank you in the future, too."

"Fuu... Seeing your pretty smiles is enough for me...hehehe!"

"""Kyaaa~~~!!!"""

 

Didn't matter what I said or did anymore, their excitement didn't subside even after showing a vulgar smile.

While the guys clasped their hands together to worship me, the girls squealed and their cheeks turned red.

They seemed like some sort of brainwashed crowd. In a way, this class was united as one.

There were some people who had a different reaction compared with the crowd, like Riku and my few other friends, and Yokotani-sensei. There were non-participants too, such as Tendou.

It was natural for them, as they either weren't interested in joining, or they didn't participate in the study group at all. That was why they had a different mood compared to the rest of the class.

There was a similar scene last year. However, it was only a few people, Riku and some others included, who came to thank me lightly, and not to this extent.

 

"Jimichi-sama hooray! Hooray!"

"""Hooray! Hooray!"""

 

I hadn't done that much. Even though I did make the problem set, it was you guys who worked hard to solve it.

However, the class’s atmosphere was exaggerated, and the Jimichi Ikuto who had done nothing significant became the Jimichi Ikuto who had made a huge contribution.

 

"But you guys, it's not enough to just work on problem sets. You should make steady efforts from now on, too."

""""Haha!!""""

 

However, it was a rather silly class, so much so that some of them really prostrated on the ground.

Well, good luck next time. I wouldn't want to make a complicated set of questions for the final exam.

 

"By the way Ikuto, how did you do?'

 

Despite such an atmosphere, Riku called out normally as if he wasn't affected by the hive mind in any way.

 

"Hey, Nakajima! It's Ikuto-sama, you know?! How dare you talk to him like that?! Move back!"

"""That's right! You think too highly of yourself!"""

 

Riku and the others smiled wryly. They might have judged that it was a bad idea to go against the crowd, so they just straightened their posture and faced me.

 

"Yes yes, Riku. I allow you to lift your head."

"'Lift your head', my ass! Ah, no...that, Ikuto...sama, how's your score?"

 

Riku asked me that while somewhat feeling nervous. I wondered why he was scared so much when all he wanted was to ask how I did.

 

"I had a less time to study this occasion, so I blundered."

"Is...that so? Something like that, isn't that our fault..."

"I got two questions wrong."

"Uh...you mean you got two questions wrong in each subject?"

"No, I got two questions wrong in all five subjects combined."

"...That, is that really our fault?"

 

It wasn't the fault of Riku and the others. Where I went wrong was because I made a mistake in my calculations and misremembered something.

When my classmates heard my score, they began to make a commotion again, and when it was finally getting out of hand, Yokotani-sensei's angry voice echoed across the room.

The shout was enough to cool their excitement, and my classmates quieted all at once. I wondered if this was also brainwashing in a way.

 

 

――――

――

 

 

"―― Moving on. Let's decide who will be on the sports club committee."

 

The class regained its composure after all the ruckus from earlier, and was now discussing the main topic for today's homeroom.

He had originally intended to use the time to decide on the committee members, but a lot of time was wasted in returning the tests, and Yokotani-sensei seemed a bit impatient.

 

"One person from each class will be assigned to prepare for the venue, managing the schedule of the venue, among other things."

 

The sports festival was scheduled next month. It was one of those events that everyone looked forward to, but it took a lot of behind-the-scenes work to make it happen.

 

"Anyone want to volunteer themselves?"

 

At Sensei's words, the classroom fell silent. Even the whispering from earlier was completely gone, and everyone was trying to hide their presence so as to not be noticed.

No one was willing. There were no clear benefits offered, and it was just a chore to say the least.

 

"...I was hoping for someone to volunteer, but I don't have much time... Any suggestions?"

 

This was also difficult. The lack of volunteers meant that no one wanted to do it.

Recommending someone else...was definitely a better solution.

It was a bad way to put it, but that was how things were. That was how it meant to volunteer somebody else under these circumstances.

This class was on good terms. Recommended someone meant that you forced the other party, and at worst, it could cause you to be at odds with them.

 

Therefore, no candidates would appear. If they did, they were people who sacrificed themselves to keep the class atmosphere form worsening.

Still, no hands were raised. Meanwhile, I looked around the class, then slowly turned around and ――

―― had made eye contact with Tendou Susumu.





Comments

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14