Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V2C7

 

Volume 2, Chapter 7: Turning Point

 

  Volunteer

Nominate

 

 

Discussions were still ongoing to decide who would be on the sports committee, but there were neither volunteers nor any nominees.

If this situation continued, it would result in an unwilling participation through a lottery draw or through Sensei's recommendation. It couldn’t be helped I guess, I thought as I looked around.

Most of them were erasing their presences or averted their eyes. There were some who were looking around just like me, but even those small movements made them stood out.

 

Just then, I didn't know why I thought and acted like so, but I turned my attention to the student sitting behind me.

I wasn't in the least bit curious, so why’d I turn to him? I didn't even know the answer to that myself.

What was I going to do if we made contact? What was I even trying to do here? No answer to these questions either.

 

My eyes fell on Tendou Susumu, who had a sour look on his face.

 

"..."

"..."

 

Our eyes met, but neither of us started a conversation. I didn't know what kind of expression I had nor what he was thinking of me right now.

Meanwhile, Tendou looked away, face still wrinkled.

While I was staring at Tendou's expression, there was a sudden change in him.

The corners of his mouth were slightly upturned and with a face that looked like he was up to something, he slowly raised his hand.

 

"―― Sensei."

"Hm? What's the matter, Tendou? Volunteering? Or do you want to nominate?"

 

The teacher asked him. I was curious as to what he was going to say.

Simultaneously, the usual strange, mysterious feeling creeped into my thoughts.

 

I won’t do anything. I'll just go with the result.

 

To choose, or not to choose.

Which way will you go?

Another chance to correct this route, but it's the last one.

This, is the turning point.

 

You'll never cross paths with this route ever again.

 

"―― It's a nomination."

 

While I was in state of mental turmoil, Tendou Susumu stated with clarity.

At that moment, I lost track of what I was thinking and could only stare at Tendou in a daze.

Tendou's remarks attracted gazes from the entire class, but were those his friends? Some of them weren’t fazed by what he said.

 

"A nomination...so who is it?"

 

Everyone took their eyes off of him in unison. It was as if you could hear their thoughts to not nominate them.

Perhaps the person he would be nominating was one of his friends. He probably wouldn't nominate someone who he hadn't talked to at all, nor someone who he wasn’t close with ――

 

"―― I nominate Jimichi Ikuto."

"...Huh?"

 

In that instant, all of my classmates’ eyes, which had been turned away, focused on me.

Their gazes were uncomfortable because it felt inconsistent, unlike earlier.

Looks of surprise, or pity. There were also curiosity, relief, and wonder.

Despite such a situation, that guy continued to speak, seemingly unaffected.

 

"It was same during the test period. I think he's able to do a lot of things."

"...What do you mean by a lot? Can you please not say anything random? I don't have that kind of power."

 

I wasn't about to let myself become a member of the sports committee, so I put up a struggle.

I knew it was hopeless, but I wouldn't feel good if I didn't bite back at him at least once.

 

"He was the reason for this midterm results, right? The sports meet should also be a success if he plays a central role."

"Indeed."

"As expected of Jimichi-sama."

"I can already see a successful future."

"Jimichi-kun being a member of the committee...should be a good idea."

"I like that! I want to volunteer, too!"

"If Jimichi-kun is doing it, I'll help, too!"

"H-hey, you guys! Don't get swept up by the flow!"

 

Tendou's incitement had gained momentum, and it quickly spread through the class.

I guess they didn't feel like they were pushing me around. This was evident from the smiles that weren’t the least bit fake at all plastered on their expressions.

This person will do it, I can trust this person. This person is the one, so only he could do it.

It was as if I could see it in their faces.

 

"You guys have such pure looks on your faces...Sensei!"

"W-what, Jimichi? You'll take care of it?"

 

This didn't mean I was just going to let this go smoothly. I knew you guys were pushing for me with good intentions, but the person in question didn't want to.

From my perspective, I was still being forced!

 

"I nominate Tendou Susumu!"

"Y-you're recommending him...for what reason?"

"Nothing in particular."

"N-nothing in particular?"

"None."

"What do you mean?"

"There is no reason."

 

Even if there was no reason at all, the act of nominating itself was enough. Since this was all happening because of Tendou, it wasn't ridiculous of me to nominate him back.

And, I was trying to sympathize with the audience. In other words, I was going to make Tendou, who was dumping onto me this troublesome task, look bad in front of them and convince them to vote for him.

If you pushed me, I'd push back, and while I was at it, I was going to give you a bad look, too... A double payback!

 

"Everyone, listen to me. This guy is forcing the work on me ――"

"―― Well then~, let's vote. Raise your hand on who you think is better."

"Eh, um, Sensei? My argument is still ――"

"―― Raise your hand if you think Tendou is better!"

 

Silence.

 

"W-wait! You guys are being manipulated ――"

"―― Next, raise them if you think Jimichi is better."

 

Swoosh!

 

"Sensei?! What are you doing?!"

 

Sensei interrupted my rebuttal, and in the face of such an overwhelming cast of votes in what seemed like, to me, a fair fight, I had no choice but to ready myself.

The hands that were initially down to earth was now raised to the heavens, and nothing I could say would change their mind. It would be meaningless of me to make any more noise.

It seemed like the brainwashing because of the test earlier backfired. I could only let out a bitter laugh as I listened to their earnest applause.

 

 

――――

――

 

 

"―― So then, do you best okay, Jimichi?"

 

After our long homeroom was over, I was surrounded by my classmates when I heard a hateful voice.

I shut off my ears to the voices around me and turned my attention to Tendou Susumu who had uttered those words.

 

"You're not even in any club, so it's not like you mind, right?"

"...Yeah, I have all the time in the world."

"Don't glare at me so much? I nominated you with good intentions."

 

Your expression when you put me up front earlier was malicious, and yet you said that to me.

Well, it seemed like I was hated by Tendou. It was kind of my fault because of that contact we had recently when I was somewhat out of my mind.

But I did say it, didn't I? The moment you got involved with me ――

 

"Do you remember, Tendou?"

"Hmm? What?"

"Didn't I tell you that you were going to lose?"

"Are you still talking about that? Supernatural stuff? Don't tell me you're still a chuunibyou?"

"Well, whatever. Either way, it's too late."

"...Still acting creepy."

 

After I said that, Tendou turned on his heel and walked away from me. As I stared at his back, I thought to myself.

He didn't notice it yet. But if everything went wrong in the future, he would cross paths with me again.

At that time, he would finally be aware of it... Rather, there really was something wrong with me, wasn't there?

It felt like I was becoming crazy every time I got involved with Tendou. It was a disgusting sensation, as if someone was taking over my thoughts.

Maybe Tendou was a witch? Was I being cursed by him?

I took my eyes off Tendou, thinking to myself that I didn't want to have anything to with him anymore, and just focused on talking to my classmates around me again.





Comments

  1. Great stuff. Thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I wonder for this arc if it's gonna be jimichi actively pursuing the heroines or maybe they will come to him first this time?
    Either way, thanks for translating the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahahah, it’s gonna be so fun to see his face when our mc got all the girls and him suffering makes me happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this mc. I just hope that he dont go on a harem route though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he will lol. After all, ending a harem novel with non-harem ending is considered a scummy thing to do nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Kind of idiotic of him to thnik everyone will choose Tendou "because he's better for the job" when it's him, the mc, who's favored by pretty much everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This guy doesn't learn. I wonder what would have happened if someone had told him that he lost the Harem End. Would he vomit blood and faint?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sure is making a halfhearted effort to resist. Is the mind control pervasive enough that even the desire to rebel or the fear of losing control are also supressed? In his situation, having clear proof that you're being puppeted would definitely set me off something fierce, rather than the 5 seconds thought he spares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more correct to assume that said mind control is of suggestive kind. Which is the absolute worst kind, since the target does not even realise it is being manipulated. "I just felt the need to say it. Why? I dunno. It was bothering me and that is all" He recognises these invasive commands as his own thoughts, despite sensing that something is indeed wrong with that; essentially, mistaking them for "gut feeling".

      Delete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14