Gave Everything Up - V1C12


Thanks to ButterBaron for donating! Sponsored chapter 2/3.

 

Volume 1, Chapter 12: Not Even Close

 

"Sorry for the wait. I'm done preparing now."

 

When I came out the Backyard, the two of them had a somewhat awkward mood to them. Well, it might be a bit of too much to ask them to get along when they just met for the first time.

 

"Oh, Tamaki-kun. Welcome back. Let's get to work."

 

Hisai-san said, and I began the work I was taught to do.

Sorting out the books, displaying the new arrivals, and writing POP for those as well. After all that was done, I took a look at the time.

The clock still showed around 11 o'clock.

 

"Hisai-san, what should I do next?"

 

This was all that was taught to me by Hisai-san. What was I to do after this?

 

"Oh, that's all the work for today."

 

Huh? We were done already?

 

"...So, what should I do in the meantime?"

 

There was still a lot of hours left for this part-time job. If that was all there was, then what was I supposed to do?

 

"I just spend the rest of the day standing at the register. Sometimes, customers come in, so I have to serve them, or I put back the books they misplaced."

 

...Could we really get 1,000 yen an hour for that? That wage was too unbelievable.

 

"Then, should we go stand at the register, then?"

"Yes."

 

Hisai-san and I headed to the counter. Nana was standing nearby.

"Nana-san, you aren't busy?"

 

Was she waiting for two hours while we worked? Why would she...

 

"No. I'm fine."

 

Well, if the person herself said it was fine, then it should be.

 

"Onii-chan..."

 

That voice did not reach Manato.

 

 

It had been an hour since I stood at the register.

 

"..."

"..."

"...It isn't busy at all, huh."

"...Yeah."

 

Too much free time. There were only two customers who came so far. Was this shop doing fine? It was too free that I was starting to worry a little.

 

"...You have a good sister."

 

Suddenly, Hisai-san said that.

 

"..."

 

I couldn't reply. Nana was looking around at books inside this store.

 

"Oh, sorry. She said something about things not going well right now..."

 

Well, I wouldn't deny that.

 

"You know. I lost my parents in an accident when I was little."

 

Hisai-san started talking about herself. No one asked her, though.

 

"I was at home at the time, and that's when my family came apart."

 

Although it was in a different kind of way, I guess Hisai-san had a hard time, too...

 

"I was left in the care of my mother's parents. Father's side had already passed away. I wasn't welcomed. My grandparents hated and harassed me."

"..."

 

The only thing I could do was listen to her silently. It would have been nice if I could have said something witty at this point, but I couldn't come up with anything.

 

"I endured for years. I endured the pain, hardship, and suffering. I don't know many times I wished to go to back to those times. I cried a lot every time I remembered my father and mother. But that wouldn't change the present. That's why I started working here a few years ago, and why I lived alone now."

 

Hisai-san grew up in a much more difficult environment than I did. After hearing her past, my current situation seemed trivial.

 

"That's why I want you to cherish your family. Because there are people in the world who wanted to see their family like me, but will be never be able to."

"...I'll try my best."

 

I said I would do my best, but it wasn't going to be that easy.

Still, after seeing the expression on Hisai-san's face right, it was impossible not to do something. That's what I thought.



⸻⸻⸻ (ノ*ФωФ)ノ ⸻⸻⸻




Want more chapters? Please support me over on Ko-fi!

Comments

  1. ayoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! dont interfare in my mc's personal life !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, this is sound and mature enough advice for mc.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14