Gave Everything Up - V1C13


Thanks to ButterBaron for donating! Sponsored chapter 3/3.

 

Volume 1, Chapter 13: On the Way Home

 

In the end, I finished my part-time job an hour earlier than scheduled. I still got paid for another hour. I really thought that shop wasn't doing okay after all.

 

"Hisai-san, I'll be leaving."

"Oh, okay. Thanks for the hard work."

 

I said my greetings to Hisai-san and left the store.

 

"O-Onii-chan!"

 

Nana-san followed soon after.

 

 

On the way home, as I walked next to Nana-san, I remembered Hisai-san's words.

 

"I want you to cherish your family."

 

Hisai-san said so, but I didn't feel the same way. Rather, I just didn't want to. I felt like this was what I really intended to do. Maybe I was just being withdrawn, but still...

 

"G-good work on your part-time job."

 

Nana-san, walking next to me, put out words of congratulations.

 

"I'm not tired at all yet, though."

 

I really wasn't feeling worn out. That was only natural. I just worked for a bit and stood at the cash register.

 

"...Don't push yourself too hard, okay?"

 

...Why was she so worried about me, huh. You did that. Yet you had been ignoring me before.

 

"...Yes. Thanks for your concern."

 

The truth might be that if I asked her, I would get the answer. But I didn't want to hear it. Maybe that's why I was still a kid.

 

This exchange with Nana continued, even though it was fragmented. No, to be exact, Nana-san was the one who kept on talking to me. Before, I used to be in the on the other end.

 

Was the person walking beside me really was that distant?

Her attitude was so different now that I was doubting that. She was smiling next to me. What was so exciting about this? I didn't understand.

 

"Thank you for bringing me along today."

 

Rather than bring you along, you came on you own... I didn't say that out loud.

As you'd expect, I still have some level of common sense.

 

"No, no."

 

Even so, she really waited until the end of my part-time job. Was she that free? Well, I was fine either way.

 

"And I wonder, if, I can follow you again next time..."

 

I would have to object to that after all.

 

"That's...it might cause trouble for the store."

 

If it would cause too much trouble to the shop, I wouldn't be able to work there anymore. That's why I had to avoid that.

 

"Ah, ahaha. T-that's right, isn't it..."

 

Why. It was that look again. Why was she trying to force herself to laugh. Why, why, why!

 

...Calm down.

 

"Yes, that's why I'd like to ask you to do this only for today."

"...Yeah, sorry."

 

I didn't really want her to apologize. It was all fine as long as she didn't get in my way. It was better for us to not cross paths. Hisai-san told me to cherish my family, but I thought that was unnecessary. Even if we were family, they were just strangers to me after all. They were someone who were only related by blood. Hearts weren’t connected. I didn't need such a shallow family.

 

I continued walking without reacting to Nana's words.

 

Sure enough, I might not be able to fulfill Hisai-san's request.



⸻⸻⸻ (ノ*ФωФ)ノ ⸻⸻⸻




Want more chapters? Please support me over on Ko-fi!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14