Gave Everything Up - V1C20


Volume 1, Chapter 20: Hisai Aika

 

I lost my mother and father when I was little. The cause was a traffic accident. Naturally, I cried and begged for everything to be just a dream.

But it wasn't. The remains of my mother and father told me that this was all reality.

 

From then on, I was entrusted to my mother's parents. And there, I despaired again.

I was still recovering from the emotional trauma of my parents' death.

That's why I kept on crying, even if I was at my grandparents' house. All the time. Morning until night. I was still a kid at the time, so I cried loudly. I couldn't cry with my voice stifled.

 

Was this a mistake? One day, my grandmother said that.

 

"Aika-chan. I know you're sad, but it's time to move on, okay?"

 

I knew that. I knew I couldn't keep on crying forever. But I couldn't hold it in. My tears flowed endlessly.

 

"That's enough already!"

 

My grandmother yelled. And then, she smacked me on the cheek. I sobered up and stopped crying, not knowing what just happened. But then I understood the situation, and tears welled up in my eyes. I felt a mix of both pain and sadness.

 

Further angered by this, my grandmother escalated the violence.

Grandmother was mainly the one carrying out the violence, and grandfather turned a blind eye to this.

 

I was at my limit. That’s why I started working part-time as soon as I became a middle school student. You might think that no one would ever hire a middle school student, but for some reason, that store did.

 

"You must have some circumstances."

 

The person who seemed to be the store manager said so.

 

"Okay. You're hired."

 

I was puzzled. I didn't know about part-time jobs, but was it really that easy to get accepted? It shouldn't be. But the person in front of me said he would hire me. I could only be grateful. I took him at his words and went to work.

 

Then, I entered high school and started living alone. My grandparents didn't say anything in particular about the matter.

...I knew they didn't care about me after all.

 

Still, I was glad. No, it might be better to say that everything didn't matter at that point.

But I still wanted someone to love me. I couldn't give up.

That's why when I was at school, I would wear flashy clothes.

I thought it would make it easier for people to gather around me.

 

As I had hoped, people began to crowd. People dressed the same way as me. I was interacting with them by pretending to be someone who I wasn't. Maybe they were also the same.

 

Then one day, a guy called me out to the back of the school building.

 

"Please go out with me."

 

That's what he told me. I was honestly happy. I was thinking that there was still someone who liked me even though I was like this.

 

"Please take care of me."

 

So, I accepted. With my fake self.

 

Apparently, that guy was called Harasaki-kun. I had never heard of him before.

It might as well have been anyone. Because I just wanted to be loved.

 

From then on, the days of trying to not be disliked by Harasaki-kun continued.

I didn't want anyone to hate me anymore. I had that one goal in mind.

 

A new guy came to my part-time job.

He said his name was Tamaki-kun. There was a sense of familiarity about that person’s face. Where had I seen him before? I searched my memories, but I couldn't find him. Thinking that it was probably just my imagination, I taught him what to do on this job.

 

He was very good at handling things. If he was this skilled, then he didn't have a need for me...

 

I saw Tamaki-kun. On my way to school. I was very surprised because he was wearing the same uniform. Then our eyes met.

At first, he didn't recognize me. But it was only a matter of time before he did. Eventually, he found out who I was.

 

I asked him not to tell Harasaki-kun. My request was easily accepted. When I was patting my chest in relief, Tamaki-kun asked me a question.

 

"...Why do you change yourself at school?"

 

He spoke. I wondered how I would answer that question. Even when I agonized about how to reply, I couldn't find a good way to put it, so I responded honestly.

 

"...Because if I don't, then no one will love me."

 

As soon as I had said that, I knew I made a mistake.

 

"Ah, ahaha. It's funny, huh. Everyone else wants to be loved for who they really are, but I try to change myself just to be loved..."

 

From Tamaki-kun's point of view, that answer must have made no sense. But then, Tamaki-kun...

 

"That's not necessarily the case."

 

He said clearly.

 

"Huh?"

 

I was stumped by those unexpected words. Because I thought I made him uncomfortable. I thought I gave him a bad feeling. But Tamaki-kun told me that it wasn't like that.

 

"I don't have as bad of a family environment at home like Hisai-san, but I understand exactly how you feel. Is there something wrong with trying to change yourself to be loved?"

"B-but it's like I'm a fake..."

 

Even so, I couldn't help but feel guilty about pretending to be someone I wasn't. And yet, Tamaki-kun continued.

 

"It's fine if it's fake. Surely everyone is a fake then, right? They are afraid to expose their true selves. That's why what you're doing isn't necessarily a bad thing."

 

I realized that my heart felt a bit lighter when he said that. His words had that much of an impact.

 

"I wonder if that's true..."

"Yeah, it is. It's normal to want to be loved."

"Tamaki-kun..."

 

The reason that I got filled with emotion as I looked at Tamaki kung was because Tamaki-kun said that with such determination. Surely.

 

"...Thank you. Somehow, my heart feels a bit lighter."

"...No problem."

"Tamaki-kun?"

 

Tamaki-kun, who said that to reassure me, looked somewhat lonely. I wonder why?



⸻⸻⸻ (ノ*ФωФ)ノ ⸻⸻⸻

TN Notes:

Sorry for the late upload. I was busy with academics.

After thinking about it, I decided to continue translating this novel. I sniped this in the first place, so I it would look bad on me if I just abandon it. Still, doesn't change the fact that I'm losing interest.

I'm coping that this will still get better later on.

Prev | TOC | Next



Want more chapters? Please support me over on Ko-fi!

Comments

  1. is it chance , that you will tl that mob novel from the list that was on voting in the future ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's around 13 chapters in Gave Everything Up left until I would have caught up with the raws. If someone still haven't translated it at that time, then I might as well pick it up.

      Delete
  2. "It's fine if it's fake. Surely everyone is a fake then, right? They are afraid to expose their true selves. That's why what you're doing isn't necessarily a bad thing."

    Hoho! That's so realist! When were we true to ourselves and to the others? And because we don't talk to each other we fail to understand each other. And that's how the misunderstandings happen and everything tends to go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this beacuse you are the one tl this :p but if you dont feel invested in this wn the best would be to...give up lol. Imho.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14