Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C12


Thanks to ButterBaron for donating! Sponsored chapter 4/4.

 

Volume 3, Chapter 12: What My Father Left Behind

 

"―― Ah, Azumi-san, please hang this around your neck."

"Eh, um? Ah, okay..."

"Please fill out this document for entry records."

"Y-yes..."

 

When I brought her to the research building without much explanation beforehand, I saw Reika looking amusingly uneasy.

Glancing at Reika filling out the form under Koudzuki-san's direction, I called out to the person walking over towards me.

 

"Souji-san, sorry for such a short notice."

"No, no, it's good to butter up the future president."

"I won't raise your salary, though?"

"That's not such a wise decision~."

 

Souji-san appeared as easygoing as ever.

The general explanation was sent to me in a message, but I hadn't heard yet the key answer.

I was going to do that together with Reika.

 

"H-hey? By future president...w-what did he mean by that?"

 

Reika, finished with the necessary procedures, was standing behind me before I knew it and seemed like she overheard our conversation.

Next to Reika who was wide-eyed in surprise, was Koudzuki-san, who was narrowing her eyes in disgust.

 

"Ikuto-kun, is that her?"

"Yeah, that's right."

 

Souji-san then turned to Reika and greeted her while bowing lightly.

 

"Nice to meet you, my name is Souji Aohi."

"I-I'm Azumi Reika..."

"Ahaha, there's no need to be so nervous."

"O-okay. Um...so, what was with that president thing from earlier?"

 

You didn't explain that to her? Souji-san turned to me and Koudzuki-san as if he wanted to say that.

I signaled to him that I didn't with my eyes, and Koudzuki-san turned away and ignored him.

 

"I wonder if Azumi-san has ever heard of Earth Road Pharmaceuticals?"

"O-of course. I see it in commercials and stuff..."

"Ikuto-kun is the next CEO."

"...That’s a lie, right?"

 

He said this as if it was a fact, but it wasn't really yet, though.

People around me did certainly refer to me as the next president, but mother, the current president, never mentioned anything.

 

"No, no, I'm not lying, though?"

"It's understandable that Azumi-san would find it hard to believe whatever this man says, but it's really not a lie, you know?"

"Oh? Koudzuki-san, you were there."

"As usual, your eyes were as bad as ever."

 

Since they began quarreling again, I was the one who explained to Reika instead.

I told her that my mother was the president of Earth Road Pharmaceuticals, that Koudzuki-san was her secretary, and that Souji-san was a researcher.

Reika said she couldn't believe it, but then she suddenly remembered something, she started nodding as if she understood.

 

"Come to think of it, you had all those kinds of medicine in your bag..."

"That's what convinced you?"

 

Anyway, she looked like she believed me, so I shifted the conversation to the next topic. I got between the two who were still arguing and urged them to get moving.

Then, guided by Souji-san, we went to the conference room.

 

――――

――

 

"―― Ikuto! Long time no see! How have you been?"

 

There was an earlier visitor in the room. An elderly man with short, gray hair wearing a white coat.

He looked so youthful that it was hard to believe he was in his fifties, and above all, those muscles! Was he really a researcher?

His name was Ouga Yamabuki. He was the director of Earth Road Pharmaceutical's research facility.

 

"Ouga-san, it's been a while. Your muscles are just as usual."

"If you only do research, you'll destroy your body! Ikuto-kun is...hmm! I see you've been working out!"

 

He put his hand on my shoulder and nodded his head in satisfaction as he confirmed something.

Still as straightforward as ever. If Souji-san was like an older brother, then Ouga-san was like a father figure, and he had been very kind to me ever since long ago.

 

"Right, guys! I made a new protein, so if you want it ――"

"―― Director, that's no good."

"W-why? Was the chestnut flavor bad after all?"

"That's not it, but we have a guest. Muscles can wait."

 

Souji-san said so and introduced Reika to Ouga-san.

Reika seemed like she was taken aback by the sheer size of his muscles, but eventually, they got close enough to have her touch them.

Did Reika like muscles? I wondered if I should get some of those protein.

 

Finally, the place was set for a discussion.

On the other side of the table was Ouga-san and Souji-san. On this side was me, Reika, and Koudzuki-san.

Souji-san prepared the materials, and Ouga-san spoke while operating something on his tablet.

 

"So, Ikuto and Azumi-san, you wanted to know about the ―― disease."

"Yes. I heard that it was something my father used to study."

"Certainly, Naoto was involved. Nonetheless, I took over the research."

"...So, how's it going now?"

 

Reika was next to me, listening with serious eyes, and Koudzuki-san, perhaps thinking that this was going to be a long discussion, began to prepare drinks.

 

"―― Clinical trial, is it?"

"That's right. Or in a familiar language, testing."

"Testing..."

 

On behalf of Ouga-san, Souji-san briefed the situation. Souji-san explained various things to Reika in a way that she could understand.

Ouga-san occasionally did follow up, and Koudzuki-san and I silently watched over Reika.

 

"―― disease has a small number of patients, so we don't have a lot of data yet, but...here."

"W-what's this?"

"This is data from a patient who had the same disease. They participated in a clinical trial and were administered a drug we developed."

"..."

 

Even if you were shown such documents, you wouldn't necessarily understand. There were only so many technical jargons that those who weren't involved would be able to figure out.

Reika however, was reading the materials she was given intently. She was already captivated by the few words written there.

 

Dose ―― effects ―― relief ―― improvements ―― normal ―― complete recovery ――.

Even if the contents weren't understood, just those few words could make anyone understand.

 

"It took some time, but ―― that person was completely cured."

 

As Reika looked up from the documents, tears were pooling in her eyes. But it was clear that those were tears of hope.

Placing my hand on Reika's head, I spoke to her gently again.

 

"Told you, didn't I? There's no incurable disease, and even this can be eventually be cured."

"Yeah...you’re right!"

"As expected of Naoto's son. He has the same habit."

"If it weren't for Naoto-san's research, we would still be working on it."

 

There was one more thing my dad left me.

Thanks to my father's research, this little girl in front of me would be able to smile again, and many more people would be saved.

 

"Now then, let's get someone to arrange the procedure immediately."

"Yes. Please!"

 

Smiling softly at Reika's cheerful voice, Koudzuki-san left her seat and made a phone call.

If we leave it to her, everything would be all right. I straightened my posture and thanked everyone.

 

"Ouga-san, Souji-san, I really appreciate it."

"T-thank you very much!"

"My team only took over, so if you want to thank someone, thank him and Naoto."

"No, no, this was mostly because of Naoto-san."

 

Once again, I renewed my conviction about fulfilling my father's dream.

Someday, I was definitely going to create a panacea. That way I could reduce the number people like Reika as much as possible.

 

"Can you let me have a place there?"

“Huh? No, no, you're going to be in management, aren't you?!"

"I feel bad for the missed talent of Naoto-san's son, but we need you to be able to lead us."

"Then, I'll be both the president as well as a researcher."

"Ooh, it's the popular dual wielding."

 

I would never give up on my dream.

This time too, that intention was once again hardened.

 

"By the way, Ikuto, is Azumi-san our future president's wife?"

"Ooh, then I need to get on her good side, too."

"I feel bad for bursting your bubble, but it's nothing like that."

"S-sorry to disappoint...although, personally...I don't really mind."

"So she says, so what do you think?"

"It's great, isn't it? You don't see these types of people often."

"Ahaha..."

"You two, Reika is feeling troubled."

"But there must have been a lot of rivals, and I'm sure that woman over there is no slouch, either."

"Eh?! You too, Akane-san?! Speaking of which, you've been wearing those earrings..."

"Hey, it's about time to wrap up ――"

"―― I'm definitely your ally in this. I can't just give my little brother to that woman."

"Good luck young girl, love is war!"

"Y-yes! I'll do my best!"

 

These guys, they were talking with such serious faces just a while ago.

Well, at least it was nice to see Reika smiling so happily.

Such a conversation continued until Koudzuki-san finished her call and returned.




4 sponsored chapters down, 16 more to go.


Comments

  1. Thanks for the chapter ☺️.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, translator. What will your next project be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some in mind, but nothing definite yet. I'm split between another harem romcom, or just go with isekai, although I'm also open to other genres. I'll post a poll when I finish translating this novel to see which one you guys prefer.

      Delete
    2. Personally i'd love a adult harem romcom with modern setting and best if school life one... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

      Delete
  3. Ty for the chapter!

    I'm happy for Reika and her father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chapters! Also if you're taking another project, we need more series like this, the Isekai market is too saturated right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the translation as always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so if the protag is not machinegun bad choice for the 100% clear acievement then in the good end route for reika, does reika's father get cures too or the bad end route of her just straight up better for reika as MC gonna save her dad???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting to think the bad end route is the best route for everyone but the protagonist. I doubt the original protag could cure her father's disease. I bet Ikuto will also pull Hanae out of her home family situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the bad end is relative since everyone is better off except the ogMC. Because seeing rhis? He's a caring, charismatic, handsome, rich MC with passion for his dream, he's THE MC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Remember to refrain from profanities, or if you really can't help it, do try to censor some of the letters. Please keep the comment section civil and be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1 Prologue

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V1C1

Welcome, to the Bad End Route - V3C14